This past week God has been giving me various lessons in humility. Some of you may know about my random car troubles, but basically it's driven me to hate my car. Mind you, it's a 2004 Grand Am, so it's not that old and in the big scheme doesn't have that much wrong with it. Joe and I went shopping at Wal-Mart one night this week and when we were leaving there was a really old Dodge van, the kind with the wood panel sides, and it was leaking water from the radiator all over. The family was trying to fix it so that they could even get it to start and they were having problems with it. As we walked to my shiny, startable and working car, I had a huge reality check and felt very guilty about being so selfish and gettin the "gimme bug" again. As a quite obvious fact, our society is always emphasizing more and bigger and better. Despite the fact that Joe and I got rid of cable TV, and I don't look at the shopping magazines, I can't stop from seeing what others are driving around or wearing... What I can do is be sensitive to those around me that definitely have less so that I see the big pic and realize how little I truly need.
Oct 25th Joe and I are helping with a "Made" campaign at our church. The name refers to how we were "Made" by God to make a difference. As Joe, our friend Nikki, and I go around to various homes and I see how little they have, or the bad circumstances they've been through, I become that much more grateful for what I have. Additionally, God is presenting me with opportunties to serve rather than be served and it is truly a breath of fresh air!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
This encouraged me!
Post a Comment