This grass was blocked off from the animals. See the smog in the background.
There were goat/sheep farmers all over. They had to continually herd their flocks around to find water and grass. Not much grass as you can see...
Luxury "condo"
Ruins were all over along the drive.
Shops as we came back to the city (we aren't allowed to shop there to ensure safety)As we drove to Bagram for a meeting, I was in awe of how little these people really have. Yes I’ve commented on it before, but to see them living in mud huts (which the walls are quite strong by the way, but dirty) it made me wonder how I can take this attitude of sheer gratitude back with me to the States. Yes I’ll go back VERY gratefully, however, after a few months, what I’ve seen here will die away like Iraq did (yes I still have memories, but the "me attitude" came back some). Strangely enough, this place has brought back a lot of memories of Iraq. As I’m sure you can tell by my blog, I like deployments. Not b/c of how I’m away from Joe, family, friends, things that are familiar, but b/c it gives me a HUGE reality check. I look at these people living in mud huts, some w/o roofs (just canvas coverings) and I realize how little I really need in the states. I plan on having kids some day, and I want them to appreciate the little things, without having to deploy. Perhaps I can come up with a way to show them these things in a way that they'll appreciate my experiences. I hope that this blog may help some of you to see how blessed you are in the same ways. Even if you are in a small apartment, are looking for a job, are stationed overseas… Whatever it is, I guarantee you’re better off than these people. After we got home yesterday I went to the chow hall to get lunch and continued to ponder the things I have, even here in my “dorm room.” I have electricity, fresh water (can’t drink, but clean for showers), a bed w/ a good mattress, internet (my favorite thing), clothes (with a laundry service), and a great roommate. There is no comparison to what the Afghan people have.
In the pictures I’ve attached, look at the background of the first one. There is a huge dust ring and that’s the “smog” that we’re breathing daily here. Needless to say, I haven’t run outside yet (I think I’m starting Saturday though). That's why I was so happy about the rain! The picture with the building is someone’s home that is considered quite well to do in the country b/c they have a none broken window. I wasn’t able to get a picture of it, but there are lots of hand pump wells outside homes. None of these places have running water and if you have a pump near your home, you’re considered lucky here.
Oh, funny story... We got to Bagram Air Base up there, and decided to go to breakfast before our meeting. So we walked into the chow hall, were able to use hot water to wash our hands so we were all excited. then we went to get our paper traylike plates and plastic silverware. Well, I started serving myself from one line, and the people working in the kitchen looked at me really strangely. Apparently they're supposed to serve us the food. oops! Then, since I'd never been in there before, I turned the wrong way and walked into part of their kitchen. The female sergeant with me said, "stay with me LT... I can't leave you alone in this place or you'll get lost." Guess that's what happens when we hit civilization! Yes, we were back in an American run chow hall, so the food was better, more options (I had waffles!) and it was just something "familiar" for lack of a better word. I told her that I felt like the dirty army/marine guys when they come back from a convoy looking all disheveled, lost, and in awe of food:) Oh wait, we were on a convoy, dirty, and I was quite happy with the food!
So yes, I’m getting VERY busy and it’s helping the days to fly by, thus the lack of postings. Don’t worry, I’m being safe though and haven’t had any close calls yet. God is good and Angels are all around this place. I get to go to Bible study today woo wee! Speaking of busy, time for me to go to work on Friday. Fridays are usually our 1/2 days b/c it's when the Afghans also take the day off, so it's like our weekend here... No break for me. Eh, I leave in a few weeks so I can burn out right?
2 comments:
the mountains look pretty amazing
I love your blog, Kate. Thanks so much for filling us in on your experiences!
Post a Comment